2018-2019 Season Specifics
Eligibility: 2010 and 2011 birth year players.
Evaluations: late September (TBD)
DYHA Refund Policy
The Mite House Program at DYHA is comprised almost entirely of 7 and 8 year olds. This program is our final step following Mini and Mighty Mites with the main objective being fun!
We will hold a mandatory skating evaluation (this is not a try-out) in October prior to the start of the season. These evaluations will be used to create 10 to 12 balanced teams for games. Each team will be coached by a volunteer parent that has received or is in the process of receiving their Level 1 coaching certification from USA Hockey. Mites will have one midweek team practice or midweek team skills session (conducted by professional coaches) and one weekend morning game (Saturday or Sunday).
Mid-Week Skills Sessions are run by professional coaches (usually 1 per month)
What you can expect:
- The basics of skating, stopping, passing and shooting conducted under the supervision of professional level coaching
Mid-Week Team Practices run by your teams volunteer coach
What you can expect:
- 3 house teams (each with 12-15 players) will share one sheet of ice
- Skills learned from the midweek skills sessions will be reemphasized during a 15 minute full ice skate to start each practice
- The ice and teams will be divided in half – two 1/2 half ice stations will be run for equal time following the USA Hockey ADM model (emphasis in these stations will be on stick handling, passing, shooting, and small area games)
What to expect:
- The program will be divided into 2 half’s
- First Half: 1/2 Ice games will be played (4X4) or (5x5) depending on attendance (DYHA boards will be set up on the red line and 4 teams will play 2 simultaneous hockey games). The first half will end with a fun 1/2 ice round robin playoff.
- Second Half: Starting in January full ice games will be played. We will teach the rules of hockey as we progress throughout the season. The second half will end with a fun full ice round robin playoff (and the final 2 teams will play a championship game on the last day of the season – known as Super Sunday)
An informational meeting for Mite House volunteers & coaches will take place in September at Darien Ice Rink. Additional info on this meeting will be sent out after Labor Day.
All players are required to have the following hockey equipment: