2017-2018 Season Specifics
Eligibility: 2011 birth years players.
Evaluations: late September (TBD)
DYHA Refund Policy
The Mighty Mite Program at DYHA is our second step into Youth Hockey. This program is our bridge between Mini-Mites and Mite House. Mighty Mite’s is designed for the 6 year-old that has played one year of beginner hockey or the older first time hockey player (this is not a learn to skate program).
We will hold a mandatory skating evaluation (this is not a try-out) in October prior to the start of the season. These evaluations will be used to create balanced teams for future game play. Each team will be coached by a parent volunteer. Mighty Mites will have one team mid-week and one team weekend game/practice each week (all practices and games will be 45 minutes). The emphasis during both sessions is on skating, fun, and developing the child’s love of the game!
Mid-Week sessions are coached by Blueline Sports Academy
What you can expect:
- Blueline Sports Academy will teach the basics of skating and ice hockey skills by utilizing drills and fun/educational games
Weekend games/practices are run by volunteer coaches
What you can expect:
- The program will be divided into Thirds
- First: Lessons learned during the week will be reemphasized (Ice will be divided into stations focusing on: Skating, Stick and Puck work, Cross-Ice Games)
- Second: Team - Skills & Cross-Ice Games (progressing towards full time Cross-Ice)
- Third: Team - Full Time Game play (Cross-Ice progressing towards ½ Ice)
Our programs are designed to work in tandem with each other from Mini-Mite (Skills progressing towards Cross Ice Games) to Mighty Mite (Cross-Ice games progressing towards 1/2 Ice Games) to Mite House (1/2 Ice Games progressing towards Full Ice Games).
An informational meeting for Mighty Mite volunteers & coaches will take place in September at Darien Ice Rink. Additional info on this meeting will be sent out after Labor Day.
All players are required to have the following hockey equipment:
- Helmet with face mask
- Neck Guard
- Shoulder Pads
- Elbow Pads
- Hockey Gloves
- Hockey Pants
- Cup or Pelvic Protector
- Shin Pads
- Hockey Stick
- Hockey Socks will be provided for Mighty-Mites
- Hockey Jersey will be provided for Mighty-Mites